Short-Term Training » Commercial Driving

Commercial Driving

Let SouthernTech Help You Achieve Your CDL

SouthernTech is proud to be a training provider for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT). The FMCSA’s Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations set the base line for training requirements for entry-level drivers. This applies to those seeking to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.


Step One

Determine which class of CDL you need. Here is a definition of two CDL License types and examples of each:

  • Class A CDL License - Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater. 
    • Vehicle examples: Tractor-Trailers (also known as Semi, Big Rig or 18-wheeler), truck and trailer combinations, tanker vehicles, livestock carriers, flatbeds.
  • Class B CDL License - Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
    • Vehicle examples: Straight trucks, large buses, segmented buses, box trucks, & dump trucks with small trailers.


Step Two

The student needs to obtain their CDL Permit through the Department of Public Safety and to set up completion of the Theory portion of training with SouthernTech.


Step Three

Once the student has their permit, enroll and take the SouthernTech Behind-the-Wheel Course. Once the student has completed Theory and Behind-the-Wheel they have met the educational requirements to complete ELDT and are ready to set up with their Department of Public Safety their driving test.

Oklahoma state CDL requirements in addition to the ELDT are

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence Status
  • Proof of OK Residency
  • Valid Ok Driver’s License
  • DOT Medical card from having passed a DOT Physical
  • Have a Commercial Learner’s Permit for a minimum of 14 days.


Federal law prohibits the use of marijuana for any safety-sensitive employee. This includes truck driving.


The SouthernTech theory course is a Bumper-to-Bumper computer-based training and is self-paced. 
Class A Theory 40 hours $80
Class B Theory 35 hours $80

Students must obtain their CDL permit through the Department of Public Safety prior to enrollment in SouthernTech’s Behind-the Wheel Course. A copy of the student’s CDL permit must be provided at enrollment.

The SouthernTech Behind-the-Wheel course is hands-on training completed both on the Range and Open Road. This in-person instruction takes place at the Ardmore Campus and has a variable schedule based on which instructor is leading the class and their availability.

Class A Behind-the-Wheel 160 hours $3,400*
Class B Behind-the-Wheel 25 hours $250
*Tuition assistance or payment plans maybe available.